Friday, February 11, 2011

"I Need Closure!!!"

Fin.


     We finished No Country For Old Men  in class today (I finished Wednesday), and now looking back on the novel as a whole, I though it was very good and I would definitely recommend it to everyone (who can read).


     But I was actually disappointed by the ending...It seemed like at the end, maybe McCarthy just wanted it to be done, I don't know. It just seemed like Sheriff Bell was saying, "well, everyone that COULD stop Chigurh is dead, and he COULD just be dead in the desert anyways...maybe I should just let it go and retire...okay, done." It was definitely a good book, but I guess I was just expecting a more exciting (or at least a more meaningful ending, that took into accounts from Chigurh and Moss' experiences) ending to such a suspenseful and thought-provoking novel. I guess I just have to do like Bell and "let it go" because that's just how it is. 


POB: 
I just would like to borrow a picture that sort of depicts my feelings about the end of the book:
Courtesy of Allie Brosh, writer of "Hyperbole and a half"
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/10/every-time-i-write-something-new-feel.html
     I was happy to reach the end of the book and excited to find out how the story ended. I wanted to know if Chigurh lived or died, whether he actually felt bad for Carla Jean, if Sheriff Bell would make a come back from always being a few steps behind the action and capture Chigurh, at least for a while before he escaped again or died, and things of that nature. But I was left with an open ending and even more questions about Bell's dreams. 


Instead of answering my questions, McCarthy just gave me even more. 


Now I just have to watch the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment